Thursday, August 25, 2011

The beauty of NYC

Well, if you know the slightest bit about me, you know how crazy I am about my soccer! How crazy I am about Real Madrid in particular. And you are probably thinking that 'crazy' is an understatement.
Well, you are right!
The new Spanish soccer season is kicking off in style this year. First official game of the season: The Grand Clasico. Yet another match-up between Spanish giants and eternal rivals. Yes, it is a Real Madrid vs. Barcelona :)
 It is time for the Spanish Supercopa, which is basically a trophy/title  to distinguish the ultimate champion of Spain. It is played between the League winner and the Cup winner. In this case, Barcelona, La Liga Champion, and Real Madrid, The Copa del Rey Champion.
Now here is the funny thing: Real Madrid beat Barcelona in extra-time 1-0 before being handed the Cup trophy. AND Barcelona edged Real Madrid by 4 points to claim La Liga title. So the rivalry is at its highest, to say the least.

Real Madrid have signed some up and coming stars who have shown great promise over the pe-season already. Namely:
 Coentrao (and not Concentrao), the Portuguese stopper who has filled in at virtually every position in the past month.
Callejon, the local unknown who has managed to make his name known to fans as he showed what he has to offer scoring few goals and showing great speed and consistency.
Sahin and Altintop are yet to make their debut as they are still recovering from injuries.

Barcelona has only made two signings. The new defense sensation Alexis Sanchez, and the prodigal son who finally came back home, Cesc Fabregas!
Being in the States, I would probably watch the game on my computer, all by myself. Not this time. I have found me some Real Madrid fans, and we are going to see the big game at a Spanish Restaurant/Bar :)
That is the beauty of New York City :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a sports follower, so you lost me, but it's great you found some fellow fans! ^_^

    ReplyDelete