Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The big apple


So I think I can say that I am getting used to the life style of this city. There are always different things to do in New York, different places to see, and different things to try. I like it here, it’s alive and moving and exciting things are happening everywhere.
HOWEVER, New York is a city where I would live with friends. I would HATE coming here all by myself, starting a job where I don’t know lots of people, or where I would live with complete strangers.
Now, you might think.. Are you not doing those same things right now? And are you not loving it?
Yes, I am kinda living here by myself, kinda living with complete strangers…
BUT. Being an intern here at the United Nations has it benefits. You meet other interns who are in the same situation.
You make new friends and share similar experiences.
Now as for me, I met a great group of intern on the first day I was here. They all live different places, have different arrangements, come from different parts of the world. But we are all going through the same things, the good and the bad.

Let’s start with the bad:
I live in the East Harlem, which historically has not been known for its safety.
I live with two other girls, who I did not meet until the second week, I never see them anyway!
I did not know anybody upon coming to the city except very few people.

Now to the good stuff:
The East Harlem is not bad AT ALL. I live in a big apartment building with a 24h doorman. It is on a major avenue, so they are always people around. And they are policemen and security guards around at all times.
I never spend that much time at home, but when I do, I like the privacy, the silence and the time and space to myself.
I come to meet some pretty cool people since I have been here. Some are UN interns just like me, and some are friends of friends and other interns in the city.

I would say that the good stuff outweighs the bad stuff.

I have come to love it here. But then again, I think that is only because I am here on an extended vacation if you will (an expensive one where you actually work long hours). I will be going home back to the Midwest at the end of the month, and that is what makes this time so enjoyable. 

- Elmo

1 comment:

  1. Being comfortable in a city like that is the most important thing. I'm glad things are going well and that you haven't been shot. :P

    ReplyDelete