Saturday, August 13, 2011

You know that feeling...?

Remember that feeling when you moved from middle school to high school? or from high school to college? 
How your sense of security was taken away from you? How you felt like you knew everyone and everyone knew you, and just felt comfortable in your surroundings? And all of a sudden all that changed??
It is like you were the boss, the big dog, yet  suddenly you found yourself at the bottom again.
Well that is how the past week or so has felt. Working with experienced people who have worked together for a long time. Being the new intern in a well established office and work space. 
I am not saying it is a bad feeling. It is a weird feeling, a bit scary as well. But it reminds you to be modest and appreciate the little things in life.
or like coldplay put it : 

"You might be a big fish
In a little pond
Doesn't mean you've won
'Cause along may come
A bigger one"

Well this past week, in addition to doing translation, I got to know the inner workings  of the office of Under-Secretary-General. Crazy phone calls, emails and important business! 
It is crazy scary and intimidating. It makes me want to go back to the comfort or taking classes and working with people I know and who know me.  But I haven't ran away yet! I'm still here, for 12 more days. 

However, at the same time, every day seems like a big accomplishment. The more you do, the more you learn, the more you know, the more comfortable you feel. 
Little by little I feel more comfortable, little by little I know what I'm doing. 
I'm afraid that by the time I feel comfortable enough, it will be time to say goodbye...

1 comment:

  1. Ah, such is life. I know what you mean by that loss of sense of security, but I've learned to enjoy it a great deal. Not knowing what to expect and seeing how I react to those situations is what makes life exciting, as far as I am concerned.

    Your internship will end, but I think you're learning some unbelievably important things about the world and the ways in which people communicate. I think you'll be able to take what you've learned and go fix the world. :)

    ReplyDelete