Sunday, August 28, 2011

The end of the road



“When it’s time to leave, it makes you want to stay”

So my time here in New York City is coming to an end very soon.
 My flight is scheduled for Wednesday night.  My last day of work is Tuesday the 30th. The Wednesday itself is a holiday at the United Nations, the Eid (End of Ramadan in the Islamic calendar).
By the looks of it today, work might be cancelled as the city’s metro system is still recovering from the damage done  by the flooding  Saturday night.
So this Tuesday might be my only day of work this week, but also my last day in the internship at the office.
And as much as I have been enjoying it here, the internship, the city, the people, it feels like it is time to go back home, unwind, reflect back on this experience and finish up my bachelor’s strong.
But as it usually goes, when time to leave comes, you kinda want to still just a tiny bit longer. Well I have been feeling like that lately, not a whole lot, a day or two, but then I realized two things that made me feel 100% better:
·         I will get to see  the one and only Nikki “O’Fallen” Kwarta. After an entire summer without seeing her, I can’t wait to relax, catch up and enjoy out last semester together.
·         This is not my last time in NYC, nor is it the end of my time with the United Nations. I feel like I will be coming back here, it is only a matter of time. Therefore, I might as well get to finishing up school.
Therefore, I feel great about going back to my little quiet town in Missouri, my own bed, my own little place. Because somehow I miss the quietness I once dreaded.

--Elmo

1 comment:

  1. Your papers during your last semester are going to stomp ass, you know that? You've got experience almost no one else there has. JEALOUS!!

    btw, please please please, in class, use the argument "Well, I'VE worked for the UN, so what makes YOU think you know anything?!" I stole that from the diplomat that was "confident to the point of arrogance".

    ReplyDelete